I’ve seen classrooms literally transformed when teachers start using this technique in their classrooms! It’s great for conversation based activities or taking up homework or exercises.
Inside Outside Circle is a kinesthetic activity that involves all students in the class and that facilitates
short exchanges between students. Read here a full description.
• forms two concentric circles containing the same number of students. Students in the inside circle
face a partner standing in the outside circle.
• asks students from the inside circle to share something with their partner in timed activity.
• has students reverse roles. The students on the outside circle share with their partner,
• controls the timing, e.g., “Outside circle, it’s your turn to share for one minute.”
• has the inside circle rotate and the students turn to face their new partner. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
Inside Outside Circle:
• engages all students simultaneously;
• pairs students briefly with classmates with whom they may rarely work;
• allows the teacher to spontaneously increase or decrease the number of different student pairings that